Become a Fan!

Educate-2-Liberate on Facebook

Share

Share/Bookmark

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

Blogs That Rock My Socks!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oh America...

What am I going to do with you America and all of the ignorant people in it? I was in Target yesterday and HAD to leave. I was so disgusted and was seriously enraged. I was in the infant section looking for pajamas for my daughter and heard the sweet, little innocent cry of a newborn. All you parents out there I am sure can recall the newborn cry. This was no mistake that it was in fact a newborn. It wasn’t just a whimper either. This was a full blown cry, a cry for some sort of need. I am not sure what this brand new bundle of joy NEEDED, but it was apparent that s/he desperately needed attention by its mother. At first I thought to myself that the mother was just in the middle of something, but would soon care to the child. The mother ignored its cries and said, “Oh, you’re okay.” As if the newborn was just piss-whining for nothing. At this point I was a little perturbed. After about ten minutes I nonchalantly peek around the corner to see what is going on and the mother was completely ignoring her child’s cries and continuing shopping as if nothing were wrong. At this point, I had to leave. I was so furious. I desperately wanted to say something to this woman, but I feared that if I did I might open a can of “whoop ass” on the lady and end up in jail. At that point I decided it was just better to leave because my emotions were about to take over. My stomach turned as I ran out of Target. I could not believe my eyes or ears. How can you LET your newborn child sit in its car seat, alone and upset? And we wonder why America has the highest crime rate, highest rates for psychological disorders and why so many children and adults have to deal with anxiety and depression. Wouldn’t you be depressed if you were helpless and new to the whole life thing if you were left alone to cry and not have your needs met? ARGH! When are Americans going to realize that a baby's SOLE way of communication is through crying? When are Americans going to realize that babies cry FOR reasons? When are American's going to learn that when your baby cries and s/he needs to be held that YES that is a need, not a want? When are Americans going to realize that babies, do not have wants? They are incapable of understanding wants. They only need. They need to be fed, changed, comforted, bathed, soothed, put to sleep, etc. They are brand new to this new life of theirs and are desperately learning how to live in this new cold and lonely place so far from their mother's womb. It saddens me that children are left to cry. Actually, this was not meant to be about CIO (Cry-It-Out method) at all. It saddens me that brand new lives are left alone to cry and probably only want to be held by the one person they have ever known, but were taken from the most warm and comforting place... their mother's womb.

7 comments:

That Freebie Place said...

Yay, kudos! -Follows-

Sausage Mama said...

AMEN. I'm so sick of seeing this sight EVERY TIME I HIT THE SHOPS. This behaviour is RAMPANT in Australia too. Shits me to tears. *follows*

Unknown said...

Wow, were we at the same Target? this same exact thing happened when I was checking out at a Target the other day. Brand new baby, placed in a baby bucket in the cart literally screaming it's poor little head off. Did the mother pick her baby up and comfort it? No, she just ignored, left it to cry and stood there. Finally a woman came over, she was foreign, probably from West Africa (deducing from her accent) and tried to soothe the baby by talking to it and smiling and speaking with the mother. the baby actually stopped screaming when the strange woman spoke to it soothingly. Broke my heart that the baby had to get comforted by a stranger.

Mary Beth said...

Oh this makes my heart hurt every time it happens, I pissed a mom off at the park once when her 3 week old baby shrieked away in the stroller while she pushed her toddler on the swing, on the other side of the playground...I talked to the baby and pushed his stroller over to her telling her I thought he needed some comfort, and I would push her son on the swing if she needed to tend to the baby...she shrugged and said he'll be fine, I can't jump every time he whimpers...:(

Unknown said...

In parent-child relationships, someone has to be the adult.

Rainbow Babies and Sunshine Girls said...

It tears me up when I think of that babe. Mainly because I empathise too much, or worse imagine my own baby in that position. When I became a mother it wasall or nothing.... and as I didn't have the heart for nothing my choice became clear.

Deanna said...

This is just one of the reasons I no longer shop at Wal Mart (we don't have Target here). I will never understand how a mother can ignore her crying baby. I now buy groceries at a small, locally owned store which, for some reason is rarely frequented by people with children. I guess they are all at Wal Mart.

Post a Comment